— Janice Jeonghyun Huh 31.01.16. —
Johnny Depp is prominently known as the great Jack Sparrow and Willy Wonka, but in this article, I would like to see him as a “person”, not as an “actor”. This article has got everything from A to Z, regarding Johnny Depp’s life when considering him as a normal human being, but keep this in mind : Johnny Depp could sometimes be a real freak. You’ve just entered the world of eccentricities.
1. Johnny Depp was born as John Christopher Depp in Owensboro, Kentucky, on June 9, 1963.
2. During his childhood, his parents moved around so much that he lived in 20 different cities before they finally settled down in Miramar, Florida.
3. Unfortunately, his parents divorced when he was a little kid and he had to experience a lot of family issues. In order to deal with the pains, he began to cut himself, which led to self-inflicted scars, which he still has today. He reflected his childhood sufferings in an interview : “My body is a journal in a way. It’s like what sailors used to do, where every tattoo meant something, a specific time in your life when you make a mark on yourself, whether you do it yourself with a knife or with a professional tattoo artist”.
4. He dropped out of school at age of 15, dreaming to become a rock musician.
5. Johnny Depp was fickle. After two weeks, he went back to school, but the principal did not accept him. The principal advised Johnny depp to opt for a career in music.
6. Depp worked with the band Rock City Angels and co-wrote their song Mary. 7. He got married for the first time in 1983 to make up artist, Lori Anne Allison, the sister of his
band’s bass player.
8. Johnny tried unique jobs, which led him to end his career in music. He even worked as a pen salesman.
9. Thank you to Nicolas Cage! He got Johnny Depp to work as an actor.
10. He tried to do serious acting. His first major role was in the 1984 classic horror film A Nightmare on Elm Street.
11. Depp starred in Edward Scissorhands, which was a starting point for long-standing relationship with director Tim Burton. Regarding his decision of taking role of Edward Scissorhands, Depp later said that “within 10 minutes of hearing about the project, I was committed.”
12. After the success of Edward Scissorhands, Johnny firmly decided to never repeat the same types of characters, but to to try very different roles.13. As he began a relationship with a co-star Winona Ryder, he tattooed “Winona Forever” on his right arm. After they broke up, he changed his tattoo to “Wino Forever”.
14. Johnny Depp learned Faye Dunaway wanted to jump on a trampoline, while filming Arizona Dream. Therefore, he and a friend drove 80 miles to a sporting goods store and brought one back to the set.
15. Johnny Depp was also a humanitarian. While he owned the cafe and pub, The Viper Room, Depp randomly gave out $50 and $100 bills to homeless people outside the club.
16. But, he’s also a bit violent. Suspected of being drunk and fighting with Moss, Depp was arrested in 1994.
17. He finally met his love of life. Depp began a relationship with Vanessa Paradis, whom he eventually got married to. “[She] walked towards me, directly at me, and just said ‘Hi.’ And then I just knew, you know, it’s over with,” he told Oprah. Meeting Paradis, he says, “changed [my life] completely.”
18. Being arrested again? He was arrested in 1998 after having a violent fight with paparazzi.
19. Vanessa Paradis and he lived in Paris and in Los Angeles. He preferred the anonymity of living in France and he enjoyed simpler life there.
20. Oh Johnny. He said that “America is dumb, is something like a dumb puppy that has big teeth- that can bite and hurt you, aggressive.” to Germany’s Stern magazine. He became a Hollywood troublemaker.
21. Finally In 2003, he starred as the flamboyant pirate Jack Sparrow in 2003’s Pirates of the Caribbean.
22. The movie became a huge summer hit and he entered the first ever Oscar.
23. In 2007, Depp paid his gratitude back to Great Ormond Street hospital for curing his daughter’s E.coli infection by dressing in Jack Sparrow outfit and spending four hours reading stories to the children. He also donated $2 million to the hospital. He’s truly a nice dude!
24. Shocking news – He may be retiring soon! During an interview with BBC in 2013, he said he hopes to be involved with “quieter things” at some point in the near future. Depp explained in further detail during the interview: “I wouldn’t say I’m dropping out any second, but I would say it’s probably not too far away. When you add up the amount of dialogue that you say per year and you realise that you’ve said written words more than you’ve had a chance to say your own words, you start thinking about that as an insane option for a human being.”
25. He’s a tattoo lover. Depp has around 13 tattoos. He has a tattoo of his daughter’s name over his heart, “Betty Sue” (his mother’s name) on his left biceps, and a sparrow flying over water with the word “Jack” (his son’s name) on his right forearm.
26. He is not religious but he mentioned that “I have faith in my kids. And I have-I have faith, you know, that as long as you keep moving forward, just keep walking forward, things will be all right, I suppose, you know. Faith in terms of religion, I don’t-religion is not my specialty, you know.
27. The blood of a Native American flows in his veins. “I guess I have some Native American [in me] somewhere down the line. My great-grandmother was quite a bit of Native American, she grew up as a Cherokee or maybe Creek Indian. Makes sense in terms of coming from Kentucky, which is rife with Cherokee and Creek.”
I bet that you are still struggling to define the person “Johnny Depp”; You must feel lost as if you are roaming around the unknown world, but don’t be sad, because nobody can easily handle an unpopular electric eel in a pond of catfish, and that’s what makes him so special.